Friday, September 3, 2010

Question 1 - Subjective and Objective Claims

A subjective claim is a statement or a fact of someones personal opinion. A subjective claim can be either true or false depending on what a person or a group believes in. A situation that i was recently in that involved a subjective claim was when my friend and I were talking about B.J Penn who happens to be a mixed martial art fighter. My friend believes that B.J Penn is a horrible fighter and does not deserve all the fame he gets. My friend believes that Penn is lazy and does not think Penn should be ranked in the Top 10 for pound for pound fighter. I believe the opposite of my friend. I think that Penn is one of the worlds top lightweight fighter and will one day reclaim his belt. I believe that Penn has proved many times why he should be considered the best at lightweight. He was once the UFC lightweight champion and also the UFC welterweight champion. Penn has moved up many weight classes just to fight fighters who weighed more then him just for the challenge. Both my friend and I's opinions are subjective because it is based on our personal opinion of the fighter.

An objective claim is the opposite of a subjective claim. An objective claim are statement that can be proven to be either true or false. Just because something is objective does not mean it is true. An objective claim that my friend and I also discussed recently was that B.J Penn was one of two people to hold the UFC championship belt in two different weight classes. He won the UFC welterweight championship belt in 2004 and won the UFC lightweight championship belt in 2008.

No comments:

Post a Comment