Saturday, September 18, 2010

Content Fallacies - Appeal to Emotions

The fallacy I chose for this exercise is the fallacy of appealing to emotion. This fallacy can be used to manipulate peoples emotions to get them to either accept an argument. This type of fallacy is often used and can be seen everywhere such as on T.V commercials or on billboards. Other things that this fallacy can be used for are for public speeches or political speeches. A real life example of this type of fallacy that I recently seen was a billboard that said “buzz driving is drunk driving” and it also had a picture of a wrecked car. This appeals to peoples emotions because drunk driving or impaired driving can be potentially dangerous. This also appeals to my emotions as a college student because I know a lot of people who go to parties and then they end up driving home under the influence. I also know someone who passed away because he was in a car with a drunk driver.

1 comment:

  1. I agree that this fallacy is often seen in advertisements. The best example I can think of is the World Vision advertisements. If you haven't seen these advertisements, they are the ones that show children from around the world, but mostly Africa that are hungry and dying. I remember one night I couldn't sleep, so I began to surf the TV channels. The moment they started sharing each child's story, I began to get tearful. Because I am a mom, I couldn't bear the thought of a child having to live like that. I immediately pulled out my checkbook and called the 800 number:)

    ReplyDelete